Thursday, January 22, 2009

Is that a Chicken Pot Pie?


So I was feeling ambitious this week and decided to try out a new recipe for Chicken Pot Pie. Turned out it was yummy! It was supposed to go in a 9 inch pie pan but there was have been NO way for it to go in there without making a really BIG mess. Fortunately I had a casserole that would fit everything. I'll try to post the recipe later.


Here's the recipe...

  • 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
  • 1 cup sliced carrots
  • 1 cup frozen green peas
  • 1/2 cup sliced celery
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
I left the celery out and substituted the celery seed for celery flakes (less expensive). I added green beans since they are one of our favorites.

DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.)
  2. In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
  3. In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside. (I stirred in about 1/2 the flour, then added the chicken broth and milk, then added the remainder of the flour.)
  4. (The mixture was way more than could have been held in the pie crust. I put the pie crust in a 9 inch round baking dish about 2 inches tall. Then added the mixture. Then added the second pie crust on top.)
  5. Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
  6. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
This was delicious. Give it a try!

Found on All Recipes website, Chicken Pot Pie IX

5 comments:

Candace S said...

I hope you saved me a piece. :)

Barbara P said...

Maybe I will make it when you all come to visit...Hummmm, when will that be?

Rob said...

It looks great. I hope you'll let us reprint your photograph and the recipe.

Barbara P said...

Sure. I've given credit for the recipe at the bottom. I adapted a few things but not much.

Barbara P said...

Sure. I've given credit for the recipe at the bottom. I adapted a few things but not much. Please let me know where it will be.